Used throughout the winemaking trade, this compound acts to inhibit harmful bacteria. When combined with water it releases sulfur dioxide, a powerful antiseptic, and can be used both in your wine and to rinse your equipment. Before adding to your wine, measure carefully, because an overdose causes a strong, unpleasent taste. We suggest using different strength solution for the two applications. Equipment Solution: disolve 1 oz. of sodium metabisulfite in 1 gallon water. Store in a glass container and mark it clearly. After washing all equipment and bottles pour a little of this solution into each container and swirl it around to coat every part. Drain the solution back into the storage contianer for use again and again until you no longer detect an odor. Wine Solution: disolve 1/8 teaspoon of sodium metabisulfite per gallon of wine will inhibit bacteria.